Sunday, February 21, 2010

Robert Crumb

This week I read Mr. Natural By Robert Cumb. I thought this was a very entertaining comic although it was perverted, racist, sexist and just all around wrong. I found myself shocked by the content and images in this comic but I thought it was funny so I continued reading it. The first strip I read was sunny side up with Mr. Natural this strip gave me a completely different view of Mr. Natural than what I got when I read on. Sunny side up was a fairly friendly strip that rhymed about being sunny and happy and that was basically it. When I continued reading I saw Mr. Natural meditating and that was pretty funny, it seemed like he was there for so long! Once I got to Mr. Natural and Shuman the Human I started to notice very obvious signs or racism. Right away when the little black girl showed up in the strip she spoke very poor english, she said "Gimme dat money" and the way he drew her and her family they look like monkeys! As I continued reading Robert Crumbs comics they became very sexual and perverted. I have to say I found it hilarious but I can see a lot of people getting offended by these comics. The images themselves are quite vulgar.
As far as the illustrations go they definitely work well will the comic and the style, he drew grotesque people doing very strange things. His characters are interesting looking and well developed and he keeps the backgrounds very simple. Every once in a while Crumb played with the shapes of the frames, making them wobbly, or more vertical or horizontal but for the most part they were pretty consistent and the view was pretty straight on.
I thought Robert Crumbs comics were very interesting and it really gave me an interest in reading underground comics because I didn't know that comics with this type of content existed. Robert Crumb must have been a very crazy man I would like to know more about his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment